InstaVR VR Outputs – Oculus Rift
- What is Oculus Rift? What is Included with the Oculus Rift Headset?
- Why Publish to Oculus Rift? What Use Case is the Oculus Rift Platform Good For?
- How Does InstaVR Improve Oculus Rift Publishing? Why Choose InstaVR to Create Oculus Rift Apps?
- Read About How Fortune 500 Company Zimmer Biomet Used InstaVR to Create an Oculus Rift Deadline on a Very Tight Deadline
- Pros & Cons to Using the Oculus Rift VR Headset
What is Oculus Rift? What is Included with the Oculus Rift Headset?
The Oculus Rift is a high powered headset and platform originally developed in 2012, and currently owned by Facebook Inc. The Rift, similar to HTC Vive, requires a tethered connection to a computer, and allows for Room Scale VR incorporating cameras and hand controllers. It is estimated that over 500,000 Oculus Rifts are currently in use as of Fall 2017, with a mobile Rift headset (the “Oculus Go”) planned for launch in Spring 2018. Facebook has recently lowered the cost for the headset and motion controllers, to a total package of $598 USD. Rift users do need to own a computer powerful enough to run the applications built for the headset though, and Apple’s Macintosh line of computers are currently not compatible.
Why Publish to Oculus Rift? What Use Case is the Oculus Rift Platform Good For?
Like the HTC Vive, Oculus Rift is a powerful VR platform that gives users a more immersive experience than the Gear VR or Google Daydream can provide. With Room Scale VR and more sophisticated hand controllers, Oculus Rift allows for a greater level of interactivity. And since the headset is tethered to a high-powered computer, you can create VR experiences of unlimited length on InstaVR and run them on the Oculus Rift. Overall, the VR experience of an Oculus Rift user exceeds that of any mobile VR headset.
InstaVR is ready to use!
How Does InstaVR Improve Oculus Rift Publishing?
Why Choose InstaVR to Create Oculus Rift Apps?
Beyond having a simple but robust authoring platform, InstaVR also has a number of features that make publishing to the Oculus Rift easy. All features are drag and drop, and no coding experience is required. You can author your VR app in just a few hours or even minutes, and then package to a .exe file that will run on the computer connected to your Oculus Rift.
The speed which with you can publish to Oculus Rift will allow you time to focus on what matters most — creating an excellent VR experience for your audience!
- One of the very few VR platforms currently publishing to Oculus Rift. With our “author once, publish to many” approach, you can easily publish the same apps you’re creating for other platforms to Oculus Rift.
- InstaVR can handle robust 3D imaging, including cubemaps. Oculus Rift is a popular platform for engineers, architects, designers, etc that use very high resolution, data intensive media. InstaVR can ingest images/video created on platforms like Autodesk Maya, Autodesk 3ds Max, Lumion, V-Ray, and more.
- InstaVR allows for publishing long-form 360 VR experiences. At our Pro level, there’s no length limit to the VR you publish to Oculus Rift, meaning it’s great for training, education, entertainment, and more.
InstaVR is ready to use!
Read About How Fortune 500 Company Zimmer Biomet
Used InstaVR to Create an Oculus Rift Deadline on a Very Tight Deadline
Zimmer Biomet Dental is a Florida-based division of a Fortune 500 company. They used InstaVR to create an Oculus Rift experience for their exhibition at the annual meeting of the American Academy of Periodontology (AAP). Tim Doherty, who spearheaded the project, had a very tight deadline. InstaVR’s no coding, drag-and-drop platform allowed Tim to author and publish his app in a fraction of the time it would have taken him otherwise.
“I uploaded all of the footage into InstaVR. And then made a couple tests, so the icons would look correct in VR. What was great was that I was able to upload the material, make tweaks, and then publish right away, with a file that I could then download and put on my Oculus Rift to view right away.” – Tim Doherty, Digital Manager, Zimmer Biomet Dental
Ultimately, despite less than 5 days to go from raw footage to completed Oculus Rift app, Doherty was able to succeed with a very well-received VR app at AAP that had people lining up to view Zimmer Biomet Dental’s patented procedures. The immersive quality of the Oculus Rift platform, coupled with Doherty’s skillfully edited video on the InstaVR platform, achieved the company’s goals.
“It was all very simple and easy to do. I wouldn’t have been able to get it done without InstaVR. I wouldn’t have been able to make the deadline for that trade show.”
- Immersive, high performance, using dual hand controllers
- Connected to power supply (so no battery drain, like with Gear VR)
- No length requirements, allowing for long-form, high quality VR experiences
- Not mobile, so not as good for travel or showing to a large group
- Requires connection to a fairly high end computer
- Currently only works with Windows-based computers